Privacy Central lets you visualize your privacy program with rich dashboards and analytics that provide a granular view of how your org uses, retains, and shares data. With Privacy Central, you can maintain consistency across teams, spot trends, and drive better and faster decisions from product and legal teams.
Privacy Central helps you understand how your org uses data in a variety of ways. In this article, we'll cover the personalized overview page, detailed processing information (data types, data uses, and third parties), and performing queries against your data. We have separate articles that discuss accessing your processing records and privacy assessments.
Click the icon in the TerraTrue sidebar to open the Privacy Central overview page, where you can add custom widgets to visualize how your org uses personal data and how your privacy program operates at scale.
To add a widget to the overview page, click Add Widget and select the widget you'd like to add. If there are any extra options to configure (like choosing a date range), you can do that on the widget itself.
Once you've chosen widgets for your personalized overview page, you can rearrange them by clicking and dragging them into position.
The Privacy Central overview page is unique to each user, so feel free to experiment and find the set of widgets that works best for you.
Viewing detailed processing information
Privacy Central has three separate sections for viewing detailed information about how your org uses data. You can access them by clicking "Data Types," "Data Uses," or "Third Parties" in the sidebar. In each section, you'll see high-level statistics — like the most frequently used data types by your org — and the complete universe of data types, data uses, or third parties in your taxonomy.
You can click on individual data types, data uses, or third parties to get more detailed information, like how often a data type is used, the risk level associated with the data type, and the approved retention periods for that data type. You'll also see a list of every related launch, which can be filtered by date, labels, retention period, and more.
TerraTrue customers use these detailed views for a variety of purposes, including:
- Incident response. If a vendor tells you they've suffered a data breach, you can quickly find that vendor in Privacy Central and see exactly which products and data types are affected.
- Complying with new laws and policies. If a new law or internal policy changes how you process data, you can quickly use Privacy Central to see which existing products or features may need to be updated.
- Designing new products and features. Some PMs use Privacy Central to understand how their org is already using data, so they can align new products and features with what's been approved in the past.
Filtering In Privacy Central
There are additional filters you can select in each of the Privacy Central sections in order to get a more granular view of your data. Navigate to the relevant section in Privacy Central, and in the upper right, click "Filter". This will provide you with the ability to sort based on:
- Product - customized in settings
- Label - customized in settings
- Data Spec Risk - enabled in the Data Spec Builder
- Privacy Workflow
- Data Spec Only - allows you to see all launches with a completed data spec, regardless if there was a completed privacy worksheet
- Privacy Worksheet - allows you to only see launches where the privacy worksheet was completed
- Launch Status - based on the state of your launches
- Organization Role
- Controller - allows you to see reviews where a controller data spec and privacy worksheet was selected
- Processor - allows you to see reviews where a processor data spec and privacy worksheet was selected
Once you make your desired selections, choose "Apply" to see the data update. Note, that filter will apply across all sections of Privacy Central as indicated by the chip(s) in the upper left. Simply deselect from from "Filter" or click the X next to the chip to reset.
Querying launch data
Privacy Central also lets you perform queries against all of your data to find the exact information you need.
- Navigate to Privacy Central > Query Data
- Select the type of date you'd like to query
- Click Display Results to surface a complete list of the elements used by your org
- To refine your results, toggle on the Advanced Query switch and refine your search with as many conditions as you'd like. Click + to add new filters and Display Results when you're done.
- On the results page, click to export your results, or click Save Query if you think you'll want to regularly revisit your search for the latest results.
Data queries are helpful when you need to quickly find and export information. For example, you can use queries to quickly update privacy notices by exporting all of the CCPA/CPRA categories of data you sell or share.